Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Sep 6, 2010 9:08 PM

tiges

Problem with 1989 MC Prostar 190

I have a 1989 mastercraft prostar 190.  When it runs it runs perfectly.  However, often, it won't start.  It sounds like its flooded and wants to start but just won't catch when it turns over. It used to happen only after it had been sitting in the sun but now does it all the time.   My mechanic just rebulit the carb thinking that was the problem.  It was not.  I am trying to figure out what it could be.  Perhaps the ignition (still on points)?  I'm getting ready to sell the boat next spring but need to get it running right again first.  Any help would be great.  Thanks.

#2 Mon, Sep 6, 2010 11:36 PM

MattP
Skis At: Searching
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Problem with 1989 MC Prostar 190

We had a '84 and had the same problem. We put electronic ignition in as well as changing the plugs to the ones that have 4 contact points on them ( I do not remember the name). This pretty much solved our problem but we always keep some starter fluid as a back up just in case! (when she did not want to behave)

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#3 Tue, Sep 7, 2010 12:33 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

pertronix points eliminator kit, is a good place to start.  My 89 ski sanger had points and I converted it over, and didn't have any starting problems.

#4 Tue, Sep 7, 2010 12:35 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

Easy to install, and even if it isn't the root problem right now it is worth not messing with points ever again.

Board footer